Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Unbreakable 2, Get Smart 2!, TV DVD News, Pushing Daises, Coraline, Comic Previews


Unbreakable 2

M. Night Shyamalan said this here to Sci Fi Wire about the film and a possible sequel: "I'm a strange creature. When Unbreakable came out, I was like, 'God, man I'm so excited.' I thought [it] was like comic books. No one has really done comic books like this: reality-based comic books. I really think this is a metaphor for things that people can go crazy over. When the reaction was mixed, kind of a disappointment, I was pettily hurt, and I was like, 'God, I took so many incredible risks and things like that.' I felt really hurt, and I couldn't bring myself to write. It's literally like a relationship I have with the audience. ... And then, over the years, as it just grew and grew and grew, and people were like, 'You know, I really like that. That's actually my favorite movie, and I watch that all the time,' and on and on. I'll be on the street, and some kid will run across traffic with it in his backpack--he just is carrying it in his backpack--and he'll be running [saying], 'I can't believe it's you!' Will you sign my Unbreakable DVD?' And quoting the thing and all that stuff. How bizarre. I want to write it right now, but I want to write it for the right reasons. I want a story to pop into my head that is organic and expressive of who I am. You know, these are all kind of journals of where I am emotionally, so it's kind of hard. I'm kind of trying to go back to the journal that existed in 1999 for me. But I know me: As soon as I give up on it is when the idea will come to me. It's just I need to go into therapy; I guess that's the end of that answer to this."



Get Smart 2!

Variety reports that Warner Brothers is developing a sequel to Peter Segal's "Get Smart," with Steve Carell in the title role. This is not in reference to the already existing spin off film "Get Smart's Bruce and Lloyd Out of Control."



TV DVD News

TVShowsOnDVD.com has posted info about "Swingtown" (Season 1) here, "Dexter" (Season 1, Blu-Ray) here, "Moonlight" (Complete Series) here, "The Invaders" (Season 2) here, "Becker" (Season 2) here, "Cheers" (Season 11) here.



Pushing Daises

The show which airs on ABC Wednesdays at 8 Eastern/7 Central, has its first season cut short due to the Writers Guild of America strike. Bryan Fuller said in iF Magazine: "In a lot of respects it was a benefit and we were able to tell the stories in the first season. Now we have a lot more game changing events than we did in the first season as the show is established and now we can take it to another level. And the second season is about jerking the wheel and taking a different road. We are recording a song and she [Kristin Chenoweth] sings in the first episode and then doesn’t sing until Episode 8. It is a budgetary thing because the musical episodes are expensive, so we have to pick and choose our battles. The second half of the season we will have more, I hope. Actually it is much more fun to write this romance [between Ned (Lee Pace) and Chuck (Anna Friel)] than another type of romance where they don’t have restrictions. 'I love you' is so easy to write. There is no kind of craft there and feels almost cheap. On our show, we try to make the expression of love and the physical parameters much more a challenge and so much more satisfying than just a normal romance." Another surprise this season? How about a bit of a cross-over with "Wonderfalls?" "It's very bittersweet because I loved 'Wonderfalls' and the cast. So much so, that I had to do a ‘Wonderfalls’ crossover in this season of 'Pushing Daisies.' That happens in episode eight of the second season and I’m really excited about it."



Coraline

The film adaptation of the Neil Gaiman's property is to be released in February 2009, and stars Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Ian McShane, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders and Keith David. Toon Zone has posted this interview with writer/director Henry Selick, who said: "It's been an interesting journey. When I got the book, it was practically finished, although there were a few adjustments made later. It felt like I could convince somebody that I should write the screenplay, because it's already written. I just felt like I could make this book [without change] into a movie. But that wasn't entirely true. It's always a journey to get from one place to the other. So, in a similar way, when Dave McKean's sketches came in, I just thought, 'Oh, these are great! We'll just do this!' But, y'know, I couldn't even explain, but over time the visual design and the journey took us to a different place. [Dave's] a brilliant artist, and he made his own film; I'm sure he'll be making more. There were never any disagreements. It just took on a life of its own and evolved to where it is today. I loved his stuff and expected to work with him, but we just never did."




Comic Previews
Comics Continuum has posted preview pages of
Dragon Prince #2,



Ender's Game: Battle School #1,



The Stand: Captain Trips #2,



The Lone Ranger #14,



New Battlestar Galactica: Ghosts #1,



Giant-Size Red Sonja #2,


& Secret Invasion: Inhumans #3













No comments:

Some of C. Wayne Owens' Books on Amazon