Blog Archive

Monday, April 23, 2007

Putting Raimi Rumors To Rest, Scooby-Doo Prequel, Spider-Man: The Musical, Burn After Reading, Get Smarter, Mike Fright, Comic Previews


Putting Raimi Rumors To Rest

Will he do "The Hobbit?" What about "Spider-Man 4(++)?" SCI FI Wire has spoken to Writer/director Sam Raimi and is trying to set the record straight. Raimi confirmed that he has spoken with New Line Cinema's Robert Shaye about directing "The Hobbit" but: "I spoke to him once, so it's a little more overblown I think. That's why I don't want to pretend that it's bigger than it is. I had one conversation about the possibility of it, and that's really where it's at. I'd have to know that he (Peter Jackson) was OK with it. It's really his picture and Bob Shaye's picture. The truth is, I just don't know what I'm going to do next, that's the most honest answer I can give you. And I can't honestly say, even though I have spoken to Bob Shaye, that I don't know that I could honestly say that anything's been offered to me until some time in the future, because, it just wouldn't be exactly right. Or true." Now, how about more Spider-Man movies? Raimi said: "For me to come back, I'd have to - - when I'm done with all of this - - have a breather and then look at the character and say, 'Where does he next have to grow to? Where can he now develop in a meaningful way?' And if I could recognize, honestly, a real deficit that he and we could fashion a story [around], . . . where this young man could learn his next life lesson in a meaningful way, and that we could make good story out of it, then I would die to direct the picture. . . . I honestly don't think I could do a good job unless I understood that about Peter for the fourth one. That's why I can't actually answer that question, either." Thanks, Sam, for clearing that up. "Spider-Man 3" opens May 4.



Scooby-Doo Prequel

The Wall Street Journal in this article addresses Warner Brothers' plans to release some direct-to-video films through their Warner Premiere label. These films would include the animated "Superman: Doomsday," and a prequel to "Scooby-Doo" (2002). Specifics on the title remain unknown, one rumor from Animated News suggests that the movie could be inspired by the series "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo."



Spider-Man: The Musical

The Hollywood Reporter says that Marvel Studios is putting together a Broadway musical based on Spider-Man. The show will be directed by Julie Taymor, music and lyrics by U2's Bono and the Edge. Auditions are taking place, and a reading is scheduled to happen this summer. No dates for a Broadway opening have been set.



Burn After Reading

Brad Pitt will join George Clooney and Frances McDormand in the latest film from Joel and Ethan Coen, the black comedy "Burn After Reading." The story follows a CIA agent who loses the disc of a book he is writing.



Get Smarter

Masi Oka and Nate Torrence are shooting a big-screen version of "Get Smart," but that will not be the end for them. They will reprise their characters for a direct-to-DVD sequel. Oka plays Bruce, a tech master at CONTROL, while Torrence is geek analyst Lloyd. "Get Smarter: Bruce and Lloyd Out of Control" is parallel content to the "Get Smart," to be released domestically 10 days after the feature. No director has yet been hired, but they hope to shoot this summer.



Mike Fright: Stand Up!
#518
Check Out: The Mike Fright Site!



Comic Previews
Comics Continuum has posted preview pages of
Punisher War Journal #7,


Nova #2,


The Darkness: Level 3,


Witchblade #105,


& Marvel Zombies: Dead Days









No comments:

Some of C. Wayne Owens' Books on Amazon