Blog Archive

Friday, January 23, 2009

Sleeper, Fox Pilot Season, Tales of An Ancient Empire, TV DVD News, The Shadow, The Lost Planet, Oscar Nominations, Comic Previews


Sleeper

Ed Brubaker, creator of the graphic novel that's being developed as a film by Tom Cruise and Sam Raimi, said he was happy to keep hands off the project. Brubaker said: "I've talked to the producers a lot, but, you know, [if] Tom Cruise is going to star in this thing, I've got comics to write. I would love it if they make it, and I want to go visit and everything. I can't imagine on that level working with, like, Tom Cruise and Sam Raimi. I think I would actually feel daunted, and I'd prefer not to feel daunted. Plus, I know that movie's going to cost $100 million. Even if I wrote a draft, I'll be better off letting them hire a bunch of other writers and then send me scripts to fix. Sleeper is a comic I did at Wildstorm that's going back into print this summer, a new special edition. Tom Cruise and Sam Raimi are setting it up at Warner Brothers right now. It's about a guy who is an undercover agent in a giant organization of supervillains, like Donnie Brasco, but he's a supervillain, but the only person who knows he's actually a good guy happens to be in a coma, so he's literally left out in the cold and has to actually become a bad guy to survive among them. Having seen him [Cruise] in Collateral, I'm like, 'He could totally do it.' I don't think they've actually had a full script done yet. I know they're working on treatments right now. They have a screenwriter hired, I don't know, some guy who's like some really hot screenwriter who sold a spec to Ridley Scott and Leonardo DiCaprio last year [Brad Ingelsby]. I talked to a producer yesterday, actually, when I was down here, just to make sure it was still happening. He said, 'Oh, not only is it still happening, but it's even more still happening because Tom Cruise's Valkyrie did well.'"




Fox Pilot Season

Sci Fi Wire says here that Fox Television has ordered seven new pilots. The shows include the comedy pilot "Boldly Going Nowhere," "The Human Target" and an untitled reincarnation project about past-life investigators who use the concept of reincarnation to solve mysteries in their clients' previous lives in order to resolve their problems in the present.



Tales of An Ancient Empire

For fans of the cult film "The Sword and the Sorcerer" will be intreged to know that the sequel is in production. Ain't It Cool News has more here.



TV DVD News

TVShowsOnDVD.com has posted info about "Hollywood Residential" (Season 1) here, "Gavin & Stacey" (Season 1) here, "The Nanny" (Season 3) here, "My Own Worst Enemy" (Complete Series) here, "American Dad" (Vol. 4) here, "McLeod's Daughters" (Season 8) here.



The Shadow

Superhero Hype says here that in the new film the Shadow may be more than a single individual. Producer Michael Uslan said: "We've gone back to the pulp roots, the comic book roots of The Shadow, with a dash of the radio roots. But we've deeply ensconced ourselves in the world of pulps and comics." MTV has more from Uslan here.



The Lost Planet

C.H.U.D. says here that Toshihiro Tokumaru, Capcom's Corporate Officer, told them that the film, unlike "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li," is going to have the budget of an epic. Based on their video game, it will be produced by Avi Arad and cost in the neighborhood of 150 and 200 million dollars to make.



Oscar Nominations

In case you missed it, the list is at the official site here. BTW: Here is the site and here are the Razzie nominations.


Comic Previews
Comics Continuum has posted preview pages of
Army of Darkness #16,



Garth Ennis' Battlefields: Night Witches #3,



New Battlestar Galactica: Ghosts #4,



Highlander Origins: Kurgan #1,



Lone Ranger and Tonto #2,



Punisher #2,



& Deadpool #7












No comments:

Some of C. Wayne Owens' Books on Amazon